What is a Differential
The differential has three jobs:
- To aim the engine power at the wheels
- To transmit the power to the wheels while allowing them to rotate at different speeds
- To act as the final gear reduction in the vehicle, slowing the rotational speed of the transmission one final time before it hits the wheels
What is the difference between a standard/open differential and a limited slip differential?
With a standard or open differential, the differential will send power to the wheel that is experiencing the least resistance when encountering loose gravel or ice, for example. A limited slip differential, however, will transmit more power to the wheel that is not spinning. Many people use the term PosiTraction for a limited slip differential.
How do I know what my gear ratio is?
Your axle gear ratio determines how many times your driveshaft rotates for every full tire rotation. The gear ratio can often be determined from the vehicle’s VIN code or listed on the axle tag. Some manufacturers, may not include that information in the VIN. The ratio can also be found by dividing the number of teeth on the ring gear by the number of teeth on the pinion gear.
[ Ring Gear Teeth / Pinion Gear Teeth ] = [ 41 / 11 ] = [ 3.73 ]
GEAR RATIO CALCULATOR
Calculate your gear ratio below by entering the number of teeth on your ring gear & pinion gear.
Gear Changing Tips
Larger tires aren’t the only reason you may need to change gears:
- Many truck owners swap gears for better mileage.
- If your vehicle is a 4×4, you will need to change the gears in both front and rear axles.
- Most front axles require reverse cut gears because front driveshafts typically spin the other way.
- Front and rear gears can be different by 1% on road and 2% off-road without impacting performance.
Differentials, Ring and Pinion, Crown Wheel and Pinion, new, used, rebuilt and exchange. One call does it all. We have all models in stock ready to ship worldwide today. One call to us and we can provide international shipping.
Our experienced staff can help you find the Differentials you are looking for. If you don’t see the Differentials you need on our website, please call us at 877-776-4600, we will be glad to assist you